Friday, September 19, 2008

End of Week 1

So I've officially been in Australia a week, seems like forever though. I've done SO much! Yesterday was filled with informational seminars and then shopping! All shops close at 5:30pm here except the mall stays open til 9:30pm on Thursdays. I got a hair straightener (found one for $20!), a SIM card for my mobile, and a few shirts. I will still primarily talk on Skype for back home, however here, it is nice to be able to track people down, or call to make reservations/bookings. In the event anyone needs to get a hold of me and doesn't mind the international call my number is 61 2 04 5074 2088... seems pretty long and ridiculous, because it is. On that note, my address is:

151 Darley Rd #238
Manly, NSW 2095 Australia.

After shopping I had no desire to move, and spent the night in. Woke up early Friday morning to get my timetable (aka schedule) and found out there is one class I need to change before Monday morning. Seems a little ridiculous that we get paper schedules and have to stand in line to get classes switched... so unnecessary. Australians definitely don't rely on the internet as much as Americans. Even booking tickets to do things is more commonly done by phone. My appointment isn't until 6pm, and our two sessions today were surf safety and team building. We went out at high tide in some pretty brutal waves. I'm now able to paddle out with the rip, swim over to the tide, and catch a wave in... laying on my board. Tomorrow I attempt to actually stand on my board and surf. After today, I don't have very high expectations, but I'm going to give it a go. Tony, the director of Student Services, took pictures of us in the water. If he posts them, I'll add a few to my blog. The faculty here is phenomenal. They're all so helpful to all the international students... of the 200 new students this semester, only 16 are Australian. They're all very approachable and willing to answer the most simple questions (for instance, where do I exchange my towel?). After an exhausting day of surfing, obstacle courses, tug of war, and clap games... I'm taking some downtime in my room before dinner, changing my timetable, and the "Australian Party." Apparently there is a wild life guy coming in with animals to the campus bar.

Few other things about life in Australia... I'm still getting used to walking on the left. I've caught myself using a few of the abbreviations/different words (sunners, swimmers, suncream, mobile, brekie). I'm already noticeably darker, despite wearing 30+ sunscreen on every time I'm in the sun. Bathrooms here are called toilets... which I guess is more accurate, but its weird seeing signs in the mall that say "female toilets." Every day I seem to be mixing with a different nationality, today it was the Australians. I'm starting to remember faces and names and nationalities which is a plus. When we start classes on Monday though, we all have name badges so it'll be a bit easier. Depending on how much surfing wears me out, and how nice it is... I might make it into the city for the first time tomorrow. Otherwise Sunday. I have a huge list of things to do in the next 3 months, I've got to get going! Hope all is well with everyone reading. Reminder, I have more pictures on my Flickr site
Have a great weekend:)

No comments: