Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Some people really amaze me

Studying abroad has changed my life already. Not necessarily how I live my life, but my perceptions for sure. I think I've mentioned it before, but Australia is pretty similar to America. Its a Western individualistic culture that speaks English. Its a bit warmer with a few more beaches than Minnesota, but nothing extraordinary. Its beautiful and I'm more relaxed than ever, but I also have a new urge to do so much more. The people I've met here are incredible and never cease to amaze me.

Most students here are speaking English as a second language. Everyone seems to know 3, 4, or even 5 languages fluently. I took Spanish classes for 2 years and still can't hold a conversation, I can't imagine the dedication and persistence it takes to learn another language well enough to take higher education classes. Some of the teaching methods and expectations are difficult for me and I've been speaking the language for 20 years. All term 1 students take a computer class to learn Microsoft Office 2007. They get the technical manual and have tests on each application... 10 random questions from the 1000+ pages of the manual. The questions are obscure and poorly worded. I was in the lab when my friends from Sweden were working on this assessment. They were beyond frustrated and asked me to help translate for them. These girls are intelligent and have so much life experience... and were now doubting their ablities because of a quiz that I couldn't even figure out--I've been speaking English for over 20 years and would consider myself proficient in Microsoft Office, it was ridiculous.

My roommates spend hours every night reading homework and reviewing lectures. They get frustrated when their instructors tell them they don't speak English very well... they're trying really hard but its just not an easy thing to do. I take for granted that I can read the text here just as easily as back home. They ask me questions about English and most of the time I don't have a very good answer (why are there buy, bye, and by that all sound the same but have different meaning and spelling... tense rules, articles before nouns, grammar, etc.). They want me to teach them English but I can't just wave a magic wand... its a tough language to learn. I have incredible respect for anyone who can do it. I decided if they can learn in English, I should at least try basic Chinese. I had them teach me hello, please, and thank you... and then how to write my name. This small lesson took about 30 minutes. They laughed at me... nearly hysterical, but it was fun, and they were practicing English explaining it to me. We all win. My next task is numbers. I taught them Crazy 8s and Go Fish... roommate bonding, it was a good night.

So these stories might not seem like much (you're probably wondering why you actually read it all) but this school has opened my eyes quite a bit. I wish I had the courage to study in a country that speaks a different language, or a culture completely different from my own. I'm learning a lot here and experiencing the beauty that is Australia... but I can't help but feel like I've taken the easy way out. I'm not challenged by poverty in Kenya, nor living with a family that doesn't speak English, or even living on my own in an unfamiliar place. I go to a small school that takes care of me. I live on campus with 60 other American students, and I don't have to cook for myself. I'm only taking 4 subjects and am able to travel, explore, and still get my homework done. Its been fantastic, but I feel selfish. I admire my friends here for the hard work they've gone through to get this far, and will continue to put forth to get their degree. I want to do more international travel in the near future and am now considering a career in international industrial relations or with an international non-profit. I have a long list of places to see... we'll see if my budget ever allows me to get there.

Long story short... I have a lot more to learn.

One more day of class before a long weekend. We have a post-graduation party on Friday and I'm going to La Boheme at the Opera House with Melissa and AJ on Saturday. I still have a few open weekends in November... I'm thinking a trip to New Zealand and sky diving on the beach, maybe a road trip to Melbourne (I could try driving on the left side of the road!). We'll see how things work out. I've been keeping up with my walking and yoga, and still drink water (I'm up to 3 bottles a day!) The exchange rate is on its way back up... I took A$300 out today so I stop obsessively checking the rates. That should be enough to last me the rest of the month.

Ok I'm done... Hope everyone is having a wonderful week.

No comments: