Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wine tasting excursion

My week was pretty uneventful after the skydiving mishap... Thursday was just as cold and rainy, but I had 8 hours of class to kill the day. Friday was a little bit better, but I just went to class and did homework for the rest of the day. I hung out with Dana and Jolly for the night and went to bed fairly early so that I could get up by 7 for wine tasting in Hunter Valley.

Hunter Valley is just over 2 hours from Manly. The school organized this trip with a tourism company named Colourful Trips. 24 students from college went, all study abroads, from the US, Germany, and Norway. It was a long quiet bus ride to the Valley. We got on the freeway and there wasn't a single city the entire way there, just gorgeous country side. As you drive inland from the city the landscape changes dramatically and you hit the mountain range that divides the coast from the outback. I forgot my iPod but was content just looking out the window. I love living in/near the city, but its nice to see other parts of the country as well.

Our first stop was at Hunter Valley Cellars. We tasted 5 different wines from a variety of vineyards. It was more of a retailer than a winery because they don't make wine, just sell from others in the Valley.


Our tasting selection at Hunter Valley Cellars

Laura, Amy, Melissa, myself and Brittany

We then went to a nearby park where our tour guide BBQ'd some sausages before moving onto our second stop, McGuigan Cellars. Here we tasted 8 wines, all from McGuigan winery. They were more expensive wines than the first place... after our first two stops I decided I'm really not much of a red wine person. Next to McGuigan Cellars was Hunter Valley Cheese Company. Our group stopped here for a cheese tasting of 5 different cheeses. I forget the name of my favorite one... it had a fancy name that basically meant white cheese. It only matures for 48 hours before they sell it and was soaking in oil. There was also a vintage cheddar which was aged 3 years. I thought cheese got old over time, but apparently not. I didn't care for the others we tried, but it was fun to try them anyway.


Our cheese tasting platter

Our next stop on the tour was Blue Tongue Brewery. I had no idea beer tasting was a part of this trip, but was glad to go. We got a paddle with 6 different varieties of Blue Tongue Beer including ginger, lager, light, pilsener, draught, and black ale. After tasting all of them, you picked your favorite and got a full glass. We took our time, talked around the picnic tables, and enjoyed the beautiful weather outside. Our final stop was at Golden Grapes Estates. We were running a little late and rushed through this tasting of wine based liquors. They were all very unique. Our last taste was of Dragon's Breath, a chili butterscotch schnapps. Golden Grapes is the only place that makes it or sells it. It was ok, but I don't think it'd ever be my drink of choice... they suggested cooking with it, I think that'd be pretty good. After 6 hours of tasting various Hunter Valley made alcohol, it was time for our drive back. It had been a long day, but very enjoyable.


Outside Golden Grapes Estates


Vineyards

Today is another homework day. I might take a 2 hour break to go to the beach... I haven't been there in almost two weeks. This afternoon I have a welcome BBQ for the indigenous students that are coming to stay here for the week. I will meet Iona and Nazareth, the two TSI students I will be eating meals with and getting to know over the next week. I'm looking forward to another productive week... hopefully some beach time, and a lot of studying for my midterm on Thursday and case study projects due in the upcoming weeks.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Tanya, I have been following your blog and loving your adventures. Sounds like you are learning a lot and experiencing meaningful things. I'm jealous! :)