Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

My Thanksgiving is almost over, for most of you it is just beginning. Thanksgiving is an American holiday, but we convinced the school into making Thanksgiving dinner anyway. So yes, I did get a Thanksgiving meal... turkey, gravy, potatoes, pumpkin, and an attempt at pumpkin pie. Not the same as back home, but the effort was much appreciated.

I feel like I've been meaning to blog all week but just haven't gotten around to it. Classes are winding down, not a ton going on, but its been another thinking and reflecting week. I managed to get some decent sun on Tuesday and did a whole lot of trip planning on Wednesday. I leave for New Zealand tomorrow! So excited. On the agenda: canyoning, volcano islands, a Santa Day parade, tallest building in the southern hemisphere, hostel with spa and sauna, and a whole lot of exploring. Its going to be a fun filled three days. I'll be sure to tell you all about it:)

I'm starting to think extreme homesickness is actually a contagious disease. I don't know if it's because this Thanksgiving is most people's first holiday without family, or its just that stage in our trip where people are ready to go home. Either way, a whole lot of people are getting really homesick right now. I love and miss you all... but I'm going to be home in three weeks, I'm not going to start dwelling on it now already. I believe I can thoroughly enjoy my time here, and miss people from back home all at the same time. It's been happening a good part of my time here. There are constantly reminders that my time in Australia is coming to an end... my shampoo is running out, December starts on Monday, I'm done with classes (only 4 hours of review and a presentation, plus 3 finals). I'm trying to ignore them and enjoy each day I have left.

Today was my last day of lectures with McRae. She told us that "10 weeks is all you get" and she would not be teaching next week. Fine by me. I'll get home from Auckland Monday night, still have time for yoga before working on my marketing presentation. The only class I'll have next week is from 10-noon on Thursday, and my presentation on Friday morning. Oddly enough I was a little sad to be done with her classes. We had a great discussion in cross cultural management about work motivation. We had to write down the top five motivators for our personal work life. Everyone had different answers and many had cultural ties I never would have thought of. It was really interesting. I was the only one that had purpose or service to others in my top 3... turns out its a very American thing. I learned that Australian's don't have any service work programs like Americorp or PeaceCorp. She made a few American generalizations and I just let them go, I think I would have felt jipped if she didn't make at least a few cracks at me on the last day. While I don't agree with a lot of the things she says, once you figure out that she's not malicious in her actions, its kind of entertaining.

In my second class with her, managing workplace conflicts, we spend a lot of time talking about conflict, feelings, fear/anger, etc. She felt it would be good for us to share what we had learned about ourselves this semester and then formally appreciate our classmates. Now I hate to say it, but honestly, there was a lot of personal development in this class. Many students felt they had finally confronted and moved on from major conflict in their personal lives and had increased confidence. I still don't agree with all of her teaching methods (especially humiliation) but the end sort of justifies the means.

The big shock came at the end of class. We were passing around a ball formally appreciating each other. I never ended up getting the ball, not a big deal, but someone pointed it out and McRae told me that I was "charmingly Midwestern, analytical, and a thinker... different from the other Americans." She also said she appreciated my sense of humor. So there you go, maybe all of her fuss was just to get me going. I don't forgive her for making me sing the Star Spangled Banner, or many of the other things she said/did... but its nice to know she has some respect for me as a person. It's the third time this week someone has pointed out how Midwestern, Minnesotan, or "different from the other Americans" I am. I didn't think it was that obvious, not sure if its meant as a good or bad thing... but I'll take it as a compliment. I guess no matter where in the world I am, I'll always be Midwest at heart.

So there you go... done with school. First time I've gone to school on Thanksgiving Day, but if it means I don't have to go after, I'll consider it a fair trade. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Enjoy your buffet style dinners and family gatherings. Remember to give thanks. I am thankful for the opportunities I've had to study and travel abroad, for the new friends I have here, and for my family and friends that support me back home. I am thankful for my good health and safety overseas, and so much more. But alas, its almost 1am... no longer Thanksgiving and I should probably sleep.

No comments: